Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: (relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8491

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
I just read a quite recent (about 3 weeks ago) and relatively interesting article on the Tewi Tuu website. Kind of surprised I missed it until now, as I usually am pretty good about finding any new articles/interviews in regards to Rainbow Moon or Rainbow Skies, at least ones in English. :)

What I found pretty interesting is the time frame it took to develop Rainbow Moon (about 2 years). I anticipated it had taken longer. Mainly because of the difference in time it has taken with Rainbow Skies, which is just over 3 years now, and that’s not including any development time before the announcement.

Marcus has mentioned numerous times already the large amount of additional assets involved with the game, including having a larger post-game, more variety with dungeons, more quests as well as just much more content in general. However, now knowing the development time for Rainbow Moon still helps put it in perspective with how much extra work is involved with Rainbow Skies compared to the first, especially considering I am guessing they are still probably a little less than a year from release (nothing official, just ‘my’ estimation).

Sure, they have also worked on other projects as well throughout the Rainbow Skies development, but you also have to keep in mind that in some aspects it should be easier to develop the second game, as they’ve already done this once. I would estimate the longer development time is mainly due to just how much more is involved with Rainbow Skies. And that, makes me feel a lot better and makes me look forward to the game even more. :)

Here is the article:

tewituu.com/eastasiasoft-interview-from-...ht-you-rainbow-moon/
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Hobbun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8492

• eastasiasoft
It's really hard to compare the development time of Rainbow Moon and Rainbow Skies. Rainbow Moon was developed in around 2 years, including a lot of crunch time. Although Rainbow Skies has been in development for quite a while now (the game was announced 3 years ago), it hasn't really been in active development all the time.

Since 2013, SideQuest has also worked on and released:

- Rainbow Moon (Vita)
- Söldner-X 2 (Vita)
- Rainbow Moon (PS4)
- Numerous smaller releases, such as the Limited Run games and multiple releases for the Japanese market

So during a lot of the development time, the team was split. While Marcus was programming the above mentioned releases, content was prepared for Rainbow Skies. Apart from a few important tasks, not much programming work was completed until the middle of 2015.

The full team is now working on Rainbow Skies though, so recent progress has been excellent. Also we've hired an additional programmer last year, who did the Rainbow Moon PS4 port, and is now helping out with Rainbow Skies, too. :)
Check out our latest developments Lost Sea (PS4, Xbox One, PC) and Rainbow Skies (PS4, PS3, Vita).
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by eastasiasoft.

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8493

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, then I guess I retract what I had said. I had hoped a large reason for the extra development time was due to how much was being added to the game, but apparently that's not the case as programming truly hadn't begun until middle of last year.

That's a bit disappointing, but thanks for being honest.

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8494

• eastasiasoft
Hobbun wrote:
Ok, then I guess I retract what I had said. I had hoped a large reason for the extra development time was due to how much was being added to the game, but apparently that's not the case as programming truly hadn't begun until middle of last year.

In terms of content, the game benefits from the extra time. There's no way we could have achieved the same level of content within just 2 years. In terms of programming time, there are now 2 persons working on Rainbow Skies, compared to Marcus being the sole programmer of Rainbow Moon. This allows us to get pretty much all the planned features into the game without making any major compromises.
Check out our latest developments Lost Sea (PS4, Xbox One, PC) and Rainbow Skies (PS4, PS3, Vita).

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8495

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
eastasiasoft wrote:
Hobbun wrote:

In terms of content, the game benefits from the extra time. There's no way we could have achieved the same level of content within just 2 years. In terms of programming time, there are now 2 persons working on Rainbow Skies, compared to Marcus being the sole programmer of Rainbow Moon. This allows us to get pretty much all the planned features into the game without making any major compromises.

Do you mean in "same level of content" as in what has been planned (and implemented) with Rainbow Skies? Or same level of content as in Rainbow Moon? From what I understand and have read, there is a great deal more content in Rainbow Skies compared to Rainbow Moon.

And I hope you aren't having to make any compromises in regards to time. I would rather you take a little longer to get the game out than to make cuts in the the game to get it out quicker. :)

(relatively) new article on Rainbow Skies/Moon 1 year 2 months ago #8497

• eastasiasoft
Hobbun wrote:
Do you mean in "same level of content" as in what has been planned (and implemented) with Rainbow Skies?

Rainbow Skies. The game wouldn't have as much as content without the extra time.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Go to top