Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New information?

New information? 2 years 3 months ago #7918

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
I know you are hard at work on Rainbow Skies, but any questions on release date has been responded with “Hopefully we can get some info later this year”, is there any way at least you can give an idea when we will see some new info?

Don’t necessarily need to see any gameplay videos (although wouldn’t complain if we did :) ), but could you at least go into more on some of the mechanics you’ve briefly touched on earlier?

- How will we increase our stats (I know you’ve mentioned earlier they won’t be increased with Rainbow Pearls)?

- Will food be in the game again?

- How will combo attacks work?

- You mentioned weapon/armor material slots will increase with use, does that include using your skills, or only with regular attacks (I hope not)? What about armor? What about characters you don’t like being hit at all (like Serena from Rainbow Moon)?

And I understand if you can’t answer any of these, but could you at least give some sort of timeframe when you might be able to give a good update (not just drawings/screenshots) instead of “later this year”?

I really appreciate everything you’ve done on Rainbow Moon and excited about Rainbow Skies, but would really like a solid update on mechanics/gameplay, or if you can’t, a more specific time when you can give it. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New information? 2 years 3 months ago #7919

• SideQuestStudios
  • Administrator
Hi Hobbun,

Many thanks for all your interest in Rainbow Skies. Regarding the release date, I'm leaving this question to my colleague from EAS, but I can help you with some detail info about game play mechanics:
Hobbun wrote:
- How will we increase our stats (I know you’ve mentioned earlier they won’t be increased with Rainbow Pearls)?

This will be a very extensive change, so instead of just touching this on the surface I would like to write an article when it's done. But I'm very confident that this will be an extremely motivating new mechanism in RS. Sorry for not offering details here, please be patient.
Hobbun wrote:
- Will food be in the game again?

Yes, food will be back, but it will be revised and works in a different way. There is no hunger status any longer. Instead, all characters are full by default, which means that their food bar is empty. You don't have to feed them, if you don't like to. But if you do, they're getting an extra bonus in battle. It'll be easy to keep their food level increased a little but it will be very hard to keep their food bar on max. That's because the bar decreases faster as higher the saturation level is.
Hobbun wrote:
- How will combo attacks work?

Combo attacks are skills, that involve more than just one main character. The participating main characters have to be on tiles, that are matching a certain pattern (similar than the target patterns for enemies). While regular skills just cost MP, combo skills also require rainbow pearls and here we have the good old rainbow pearls from Rainbow Moon back; But as you can see, they are no longer used for leveling up stats. However they are still obtained in the same way as in Rainbow Moon, just by executing the killing stroke.

There is also a limit of rainbow pearls every character can store. Although this limit can be increased during the game, you can't do combos all the time. So, summarized: You need at least 2 specific main character to initiate a combo skill. Rainbow pearls and MP are required, but in return combo attacks are *much* stronger than normal attacks and they have unique patterns.
Hobbun wrote:
- You mentioned weapon/armor material slots will increase with use, does that include using your skills, or only with regular attacks (I hope not)? What about armor? What about characters you don’t like being hit at all (like Serena from Rainbow Moon)?

It's working that way:
If you do damage, your weapon item levels up.
If you receive damage, your defense gear items level up.
Other item types might level up through different actions.

Yes, if you can make it to completely prevent a character from receiving damage, gear level will not increase. But that shouldn't be an issue. It will be very hard to completely protect a character and defense capabilities for mages are restricted anyway compared to tanking classes. In addition, the level only affects the max. number of material slots you can use to craft materials into. So, you can still craft, just not as much as you could compared to a maxed out piece of gear.

Hope that helps:)
Best regards,
Marcus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hobbun

New information? 2 years 3 months ago #7920

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
Marcus,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. In regards to the release date, I can understand you can’t give a date yet, I was just hoping for some sort of narrowed timeframe on newer information than “later this year” or to give us some new info (like you did today). :)
SideQuestStudios wrote:
Hi Hobbun,

Many thanks for all your interest in Rainbow Skies. Regarding the release date, I'm leaving this question to my colleague from EAS, but I can help you with some detail info about game play mechanics:

This will be a very extensive change, so instead of just touching this on the surface I would like to write an article when it's done. But I'm very confident that this will be an extremely motivating new mechanism in RS. Sorry for not offering details here, please be patient.

Ok, fair enough. I am looking forward to hearing about the changes on increasing stats.

SideQuestStudios wrote:
Yes, food will be back, but it will be revised and works in a different way. There is no hunger status any longer. Instead, all characters are full by default, which means that their food bar is empty. You don't have to feed them, if you don't like to. But if you do, they're getting an extra bonus in battle. It'll be easy to keep their food level increased a little but it will be very hard to keep their food bar on max. That's because the bar decreases faster as higher the saturation level is.

I will say I that sounds like a very interesting change in regards to food, and one for the better. Where I haven’t had too much of an issue on food in Rainbow Moon compared to most others, I do believe making food not mandatory, but a benefit will make it much more agreeable to those who haven’t liked the food mechanic. The only thing I request is please adjust the difficulty appropriately, with food giving you more buffs, I don’t want the game to become easier. I actually find the challenge of Rainbow Moon (on hard) just perfect.
SideQuestStudios wrote:
Combo attacks are skills, that involve more than just one main character. The participating main characters have to be on tiles, that are matching a certain pattern (similar than the target patterns for enemies). While regular skills just cost MP, combo skills also require rainbow pearls and here we have the good old rainbow pearls from Rainbow Moon back; But as you can see, they are no longer used for leveling up stats. However they are still obtained in the same way as in Rainbow Moon, just by executing the killing stroke.

There is also a limit of rainbow pearls every character can store. Although this limit can be increased during the game, you can't do combos all the time. So, summarized: You need at least 2 specific main character to initiate a combo skill. Rainbow pearls and MP are required, but in return combo attacks are *much* stronger than normal attacks and they have unique patterns.

Ok, the combo attacks actually sound somewhat similar to the geo panels from the Disgaea series, but much more simplistic (not a bad thing). I will need to see more on how the combo attacks work (i.e. video), but it sounds like a lot of fun. I do like that you can increase the limit of Rainbow Pearls you can hold as you advance in the game.
SideQuestStudios wrote:
It's working that way:
If you do damage, your weapon item levels up.
If you receive damage, your defense gear items level up.
Other item types might level up through different actions.

Yes, if you can make it to completely prevent a character from receiving damage, gear level will not increase. But that shouldn't be an issue. It will be very hard to completely protect a character and defense capabilities for mages are restricted anyway compared to tanking classes. In addition, the level only affects the max. number of material slots you can use to craft materials into. So, you can still craft, just not as much as you could compared to a maxed out piece of gear.

I guess saying “never hit by enemies” was a bad way to put it. As where I do my best to keep away with Serena (as she is so squishy), she obviously still gets hit.

What I was getting at, and what I am a bit concerned about with armor for the mage (which appears to be Ashly), is she won’t level up her material slots as easily as Damion or Layne because you won’t want to throw her out in combat. And I don’t feel there should be an imbalance on raising material slots because she has (a lot) less defense than her party members.

And as for raising weapon material slots, the deciding factor is by doing damage, whether through skills or just normal attacks? You don’t have to do only normal attacks?

The only reason I ask is in Rainbow Moon I almost always use skills, as I want to level up my skills as much as possible. The only time I really have used normal attacks is when I run out of magic points and don’t want to use items to restore them. I am assuming you will be able to raise skill levels in Rainbow Skies as well (at least I hope so), so I am going to want to use my skills, as much as possible again, so I hope you gain exp for your weapon material slots by using skills, as well.
SideQuestStudios wrote:
Hope that helps:)

And Marcus, I’m sorry if a lot of this came across as complaining. I only write these posts because of how much I love Rainbow Moon and just want Rainbow Skies to be as good or even better. So if I see something that concerns me (hopefully unjustifiably so), I bring it up. :)

Thanks again so much for taking the time to answer my questions and making such a great RPG in RM!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Hobbun.

New information? 2 years 3 months ago #7930

• SideQuestStudios
  • Administrator
Hi Hobbun,

Many thanks for all your detailed feedback. Feedback is always very important to us.

Because of time restrictions, we cannot reply or comment all posts, but be assured we'll read everything that is posted here.
Best regards,
Marcus

New information? 2 years 3 months ago #7931

• Hobbun
  • Gold Boarder
Oh of course, I understand. Where I always appreciate your information, I would much rather you do what you need do in getting Rainbow Skies completed. :)

New information? 2 years 2 months ago #7956

• Asimb0mb
  • Fresh Boarder
Lately, while playing Rainbow Moon, I've been wondering about something related to Rainbow Skies. I'm sorry if this has been asked or clarified before, but is Rainbow Skies in the same universe as Rainbow Moon? Is Rainbow Skies perhaps even on the same moon, except in the future?

I didn't feel like making a seperate thread for this question, which is why I ask it here :)
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Asimb0mb.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Go to top