Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Well isn't that just glorious

Well isn't that just glorious 5 years 4 months ago #2506

• (FORMERLY DELCI) Virus Wars Veteran
  • Cauthen
  • Platinum Boarder
Soooo.
I usually play Soldner-X on my 27" Vizio (I think that's the measurement) HDTV.
The past few days, I haven't been near that screen because I'm somewhere else (about half an hour from home) and I only have access to a 47" Vizio 3D HDTV. With 3D disabled, of course.
If you watch the most recent high score upload I just made (EXSODER, Thor, Hard mode, 3.967.046), you'll see that I died unusually early and with an unusually low score.
This is because I tried to play Final Prototype on the 47".
Every command I make - especially just movement - has a huge latency for some reason. You can even see in the replay how strangely my ship is moving, as if its engines are too small to support its own frame. I felt like I was on heavy Nyquil the whole time, and it rendered the game more or less unplayable.
I usually never get hit and usually I never miss enemies - of course, you won't see any replay cases of this on my new account, because I just started playing again after I deleted my old account, and I'm aiming to unlock Very Hard and Massive Attack.
But still. It's definitely the screen - even a friend of mine had his PS3 running on it once, and said there was a horrible delay between command and on-screen execution.
There's a possibility that the game might not do well on that specific type of screen (I am running it through HD), but if this is ruled out, then it's definitely a warning for fellow pilots to avoid it when gaming.
www.soldner-x.com/sx2/dscore.php?score=172879 (Had to start over - making a comeback!)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Well isn't that just glorious 5 years 4 months ago #2508

• eastasiasoft
  • NOW ONLINE
Yeah it's easier to play Soldner-X/Soldner-X2 (or actually any shmup) on a smaller screen that you are sitting close to.

But it's also a questions of getting used to it. If you play the game longer on a big screen, you will eventually improve.
Check out our latest developments Lost Sea (PS4, Xbox One, PC) and Rainbow Skies (PS4, PS3, Vita).

Re:Well isn't that just glorious 5 years 4 months ago #2509

• (FORMERLY DELCI) Virus Wars Veteran
  • Cauthen
  • Platinum Boarder
True that. I switched from an even smaller screen before I started using my 27" Vizio, and the change took some time getting used to.
Though the issue here with the 47" is that, for whatever reason, even when I stood up close to the PS3 and the screen, there is a latency between command and execution.
For example, I throttle up with the left analog to move my ship up, and there's a lag before it actually moves, as if the ship is a rubber ball being moved along a table made of sticky tape. There's an even larger delay when keying the Shockwave, usually the click of the button and the explosion is simultaneous, but when using this screen, it's 'click'.'BOOM'
The issue might be the HDMI cable. With this 47", I'm using the cable that came with it, whereas usually I use a Monster HDMI cable I bought separately.
After removing the stock-Vizio cable from the PS3, I noticed the connector was extremely hot to the touch (this usually doesn't happen with other cables). This might be an indicator that some sort of overheating was involved and that perhaps there's a latency in graphical data transfer between the PS3 and the screen (that may sound strange, but I'm not expert on the matter).
Whatever the case - anything around 47" is a bit big for a shmup, especially if you're in Stage 7.
www.soldner-x.com/sx2/dscore.php?score=172879 (Had to start over - making a comeback!)

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Go to top